Your Child’s Senior Picture Session
Senior picture sessions can be such fun! It’s wonderful to be a part of that fun and see the pictures as they happen. I would really like to encourage parents, if they possibly can, to go with their child when they have senior pictures taken. Sometimes parents worry about intruding or making their child nervous. But, over many years of taking senior pictures, I’ve found that almost all seniors truly enjoy having a parent at their session. I always extend a welcome to parents because it’s such a great experience to share with their child.
In fact, parents can make a difference at every stage of the senior picture process. Here are a few helpful suggestions.
- At the time you book your child’s session, share any information about your child that might help the photographer as they begin photographing. Things such as extreme shyness, or if the senior has physical features about which they are self-conscious can be helpful to know before the session. Also, details about interests and activities are much appreciated.
- Another area in which seniors benefit from parents’ assistance is in preparing for their session. Many seniors need help with organizing clothing, making certain that garments are clean and wrinkle free. Also, pre-checking each outfit for all the necessary pieces such as undergarments and shoes will get the session off to a smooth start.
- If your child plans to bring pets, props, horses, vehicles, musical instruments, etc. to their session, having you there to assist can be very helpful. Bringing things that are meaningful to a senior can make for fantastic and unique pictures! However, having a parent there to help reduces the time spent with logistics and can allow us to be continuously photographing throughout the session.
- At the beginning of the session, the photographer will be studying the senior’s face, finding the most flattering angles and learning their expressions. The senior will be finding their comfort zone with moving and posing. It can take a little warm up for the photographer and the senior to get into sync with each other. That’s normal. Having a parent there can help seniors relax and become comfortable more quickly.
- Making positive comments during a session is always great and can be very encouraging to your child. As she is photographing, a photographer will most likely ask for many small variations on each pose. Sometimes she is simply capturing different angles and crops. Other times she is asking for minor adjustments that keep improving the shot. It’s just a natural part of the process. When the shot falls into place, you immediately get to see it happen! That’s a big part of the fun!
If you would like even more information about our Photonuvo senior picture experience, please feel free to call the studio at 509-962-9404. We would love to answer any questions you might have.